Sharing sad news about Bassel
Add Reply
Shlomi Fish
2017-08-02 16:34:28 UTC
On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 19:00:19 -0400
Dear all,
I am very deeply saddened to share the news of the passing of our fellow
community member Bassel Khartabil, also known to some as Bassel Safadi.
Bassel was detained on March 15, 2012 amid arrests on the one-year
anniversary of the Syrian uprising. He had been missing since October 2015,
when he was removed from the Syrian prison where he was being held. His
wife, Noura, confirmed earlier today in a statement on Facebook that he was
executed by the Syrian government shortly after his disappearance.
Sorry to hear that.

-- Shlomi
Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
Beginners Site for the Vim text editor - http://vim.begin-site.org/

<netgod> Time flies when you’re using Linux.
<doogie> Yeah, infinite loops in 5 seconds.
<Teknix> Has anyone re-tested that with 2.2.x ?
<netgod> Yeah, 4 seconds now.

Joe Matazzoni
2017-08-02 18:39:45 UTC
With all the tragedies in Syria, not to mention the world generally, it’s surprising how one particular story can reach out and really wrench your feelings. Sad..and angry.
_____________________

Joe Matazzoni
Product Manager, Collaboration
Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco
mobile 202.744.7910
***@wikimedia.org

"Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge."
Dear all,
I am very deeply saddened to share the news of the passing of our fellow community member Bassel Khartabil, also known to some as Bassel Safadi.
Bassel was detained on March 15, 2012 amid arrests on the one-year anniversary of the Syrian uprising. He had been missing since October 2015, when he was removed from the Syrian prison where he was being held. His wife, Noura, confirmed earlier today in a statement on Facebook that he was executed by the Syrian government shortly after his disappearance.
Bassel was a leader, advocate, and member of so many open culture communities it is difficult to do them all justice. In addition to his contributions to Wikimedia, he was project lead and public affiliate for Creative Commons Syria, a member of the Global Voices community, a free software advocate and contributor to Mozilla, and much more. The European Parliament statement on his detention credited him with “opening up the Internet in Syria and vastly extending online access and knowledge to the Syrian people."[1] He was known for his boundless enthusiasm and passion, always encouraging others to share, create, and connect with a better world around them.
Many of you cared deeply about Bassel, working to raise awareness of his detention and disappearance. Please know that his friends and family knew of and appreciated these efforts, both as a voice on his behalf and a reminder of the values of the communities to which he devoted his time and attention. I personally am grappling with profound anger and sorrow that someone so brilliant, humane, and generous should be taken in this way. For those who did not know Bassel, you can learn more about his life and work at his article [2], and at https://freebassel.org <https://freebassel.org/>.
The Wikimedia Foundation will publish a statement soon, and ask for your support in helping us translate that message to share more broadly. We will also work to find a way to celebrate Bassel’s life and honor his contributions at Wikimania next week.
Yours, sadly,
Katherine
[1] http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+WQ+E-2013-014046+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN <http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+WQ+E-2013-014046+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN>
[2] (en) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassel_Khartabil <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassel_Khartabil>; (ar) https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B3%D9%84_%D8%AE%D8%B1%D8%B7%D8%A8%D9%8A%D9%84 <https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B3%D9%84_%D8%AE%D8%B1%D8%B7%D8%A8%D9%8A%D9%84>
--
Katherine Maher
Wikimedia Foundation
Ivan Martínez
2017-08-02 18:54:46 UTC
Dear all. Sad and terrible news for the movement.

Just want to be sure about if Wikimedia Foundation and/or Jimmy Wales
Foundation have proofs of Bassel's death. Some international conventions
about forced disappearance have protocols to talk in public and confirm
this terrible cases. One of that protocols is talk about "forced
disappeared" victims until families have a scientific confirmation from an
official source. In many cases around the world governments or other
persons use rumors to undermine morale of the families of the victims and
organizations around them or force to the victim to be abandoned.

While we don't have that kind of confirmation for respect we must insist to
refer our colleague as "dissapeared".

Best,
Such heartbreaking news. Thank you for sharing it, Katherine.
It's supportive to know he will be remembered and celebrated at Wikimania.
I'm grateful that's happening.

*Marti JohnsonProgram Officer*
*Individual Grants*
*Wikimedia Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home>*
+1 415-839-6885
Skype: Mjohnson_WMF
Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge. Help us make
it
a reality!
Support Wikimedia <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Ravishankar Ayyakkannu <
I am crying :(
Post by Shlomi Fish
was
executed by the Syrian government shortly after his disappearance.
Sorry to hear that.
-- Shlomi
Post by Shlomi Fish
.
Regional Manager, Strategic Partnerships, Asia & Eastern Europe
Wikimedia Foundation
Mobile: +91-9986993336 <+91%2099869%2093336>
*Iván Martínez*

*Presidente - Wikimedia México A.C.User:ProtoplasmaKid *

// Mis comunicaciones respecto a Wikipedia/Wikimedia pueden tener una
moratoria en su atención debido a que es un voluntariado.
// Ayuda a proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora: https://donate.wikimedia.org
Gregory Varnum
2017-08-02 19:45:59 UTC
Bassel’s wife has confirmed that she received word and confirmation of his death. A number of organizations which follow these protocols, such as Amnesty International and Bassel’s own organizations, have sadly all indicated they believe confirmation has been met. We are relying on Bassel’s family and closely affiliated organizations working with them to determine the situation as best we can.

Unfortunately the Syrian regime has been ignoring requests for two years for information on Bassel’s status and whereabouts. I am not confident we will get public and official word from them anytime soon, if ever. They have made it clear they do not respect international protocol. I trust the family would not make this announcement without being confident it was true - especially after the false rumors in years prior. Additionally based on my own past experiences, I do not see any benefit in questioning the family’s judgement or wording in a matter like this - especially given the people involved (his wife is a human rights activist and shown familiarity with the complexities of a case like this) and organizations I believe are providing assistance (although cannot offer citations on that).

-greg

-------
Gregory Varnum
Communications Strategist

http://youtu.be/ci0Pihl2zXY in the sum of all knowledge. Help us make
.
Bobby Shabangu
2017-08-02 20:42:38 UTC
This is very heartbreaking news indeed!

May his family find strentght in these dark times. 😢
[2] (en) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassel_Khartabil; (ar)
Enock Seth Nyamador

Ivan Martínez
2017-08-02 22:49:19 UTC
Thanks for the (sad) update, Gregory.
Best,
Post by Enock Seth Nyamador
Very sad. A legend he is.
Best,
- Enock

Isaac Olatunde
2017-08-03 06:26:28 UTC
Extremely sad news. May his soul continue to rest in perfect peace.

My condolence to the family.

Regards,

Isaac Olatunde.

On Aug 2, 2017 9:57 AM, "Richard Farmbrough" <***@farmbrough.co.uk>
wrote:

Very sad news indeed. Frustrating that we could not gain more social
media traction, when there is such nonsense that does.
This is a very sad news.
Bassel will continue to be an hero in our hearts and we will take solace
in his activities in the Open movement.
Kayode Yussuf
at his article [2], and at https://freebassel.org.
This is giving an SSL error ...
- d.
Gregory Varnum
2017-08-04 03:43:54 UTC
A complete statement from the Wikimedia Foundation, made by Katherine, has been posted on the Wikimedia Blog: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/08/03/bassel-khartabil/ <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/08/03/bassel-khartabil/>

We are also asking for people’s assistance with translating this message into other languages given the global impact of these events: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Free_Bassel/Wikimedia_Foundation_mourns_the_loss_of_Bassel_Khartabil <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Free_Bassel/Wikimedia_Foundation_mourns_the_loss_of_Bassel_Khartabil>

The plan is to make additional information about the Foundation’s efforts to honor Bassel’s contributions and values will be available during Wikimania.

I want to join Katherine and others on this list in offering my personal condolences to all impacted by this tragic outcome.

-greg

-------