[Publicpolicy] Wikimedia Sverige vs. the Visual Copyright Society in Sweden (BUS)
Add Reply
Alex Stinson
2017-07-07 16:07:54 UTC
Well bummer. I hope that you can figure out a good lobbying next step.

Cheers,

Alex
Today we received some bad news in Sweden. The Swedish Patent and Market
Court ruled against Wikimedia Sverige in a lawsuit filed by Visual
Copyright Society in Sweden <http://bus.se/en> (BUS). The case concerns
images of public art online, more specifically in the case of our website
Offentligkonst.se <http://offentligkonst.se/>, a service created by
Wikimedia Sverige using images from Wikimedia Commons.
The ruling means that Freedom of Panorama is eroded and the public space
is diminished. It is a detrimental loss for our projects. Next we will
talk to our lawyers and WMF legal team to see what our remaining legal
options are. Our lawyers however believe that success is not very likely if
we would decide to move forward.
Intensive efforts to advocate for our elected officials to change the
outdated and problematic clauses in Swedish copyright law will be initiated
during the year.
We have also started a crowdfunding campaign to cover some of the cost of
the legal expenses and fines of about 750,000 SEK stated in the verdict
(around 89,000 USD) and for future national and international lobbying
efforts. Please consider making a donation at
http://wikimedia.se/en/donera, <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>ev
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>en <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera> i
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>f <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>it
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera> i <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>s
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>a <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>sy
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>mb <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>ol
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>ic <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera> s
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>um <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>. Simply
add “BUS” in the comment, and all the money will be used for these costs.
-
<http://www.hogstadomstolen.se/Domstolar/hogstadomstolen/Avgoranden/2016/2016-04-04%20%C3%96%20849-15%20Beslut.pdf>
http://www.bildupphovsratt.se/sites/default/files/upload/sto
ckholms_tr_pmt_8448-14_dom_2017-07-06.pdf
<http://www.bildupphovsratt.se/sites/default/files/upload/stockholms_tr_pmt_8448-14_dom_2017-07-06.pdf>
<http://www.hogstadomstolen.se/Domstolar/hogstadomstolen/Avgoranden/2016/2016-04-04%20%C3%96%20849-15%20Beslut.pdf>
-
<http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressreleases/hoegsta-domstolen-vaeljer-att-krympa-det-offentliga-rummet-istaellet-foer-att-gaa-paa-wikimedia-sveriges-linje-1360834>
https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/wikimedia-sverige/pressrelease
s/domslut-krymper-det-offentliga-rummet-i-sverige-2054679
<https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/wikimedia-sverige/pressreleases/domslut-krymper-det-offentliga-rummet-i-sverige-2054679>
<http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressreleases/hoegsta-domstolen-vaeljer-att-krympa-det-offentliga-rummet-istaellet-foer-att-gaa-paa-wikimedia-sveriges-linje-1360834>
-
A timeline of what has happened: https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/
Offentligkonst.se/Stämning
Best,
John
- - - -
John Andersson
Executive Director
Wikimedia Sverige
Phone: +46(0)73-3965189 <073-396%2051%2089>
Skype: johnandersson86
Alex Stinson
GLAM-Wiki Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other
Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations:
http://glamwiki.org
2017-07-08 08:09:35 UTC
John,

The WMF has a large legal fund to support volunteers and projects like
Commons, which from my memory has only ever been paid out on a couple
of occasions (if anyone has a link to a list, I love to see it). At
least part of the 89,000 USD mentioned seems suitable for this
emergency funding, especially as Wikimedia Sverige cannot have been
expected to plan for these costs.

Has WMF legal been approached to give them a chance to say yes?

Thanks,
Fae
Today we received some bad news in Sweden. The Swedish Patent and Market
Court ruled against Wikimedia Sverige in a lawsuit filed by Visual Copyright
Society in Sweden (BUS). The case concerns images of public art online, more
specifically in the case of our website Offentligkonst.se, a service created
by Wikimedia Sverige using images from Wikimedia Commons.
The ruling means that Freedom of Panorama is eroded and the public space is
diminished. It is a detrimental loss for our projects. Next we will talk to
our lawyers and WMF legal team to see what our remaining legal options are.
Our lawyers however believe that success is not very likely if we would
decide to move forward.
Intensive efforts to advocate for our elected officials to change the
outdated and problematic clauses in Swedish copyright law will be initiated
during the year.
We have also started a crowdfunding campaign to cover some of the cost of
the legal expenses and fines of about 750,000 SEK stated in the verdict
(around 89,000 USD) and for future national and international lobbying
efforts. Please consider making a donation at http://wikimedia.se/en/donera,
even if it is a symbolic sum. Simply add “BUS” in the comment, and all the
***@gmail.com https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
Philippe Beaudette

415-716-1795
Andreas Kolbe
2017-07-08 17:21:54 UTC
I thought that case was lost over a year ago, in the Swedish Supreme Court:

http://fortune.com/2016/04/05/wikimedia-sweden-artworks/

What happened between then and now for this to end up in the Swedish Patent
and Market Court?

Andreas
Rogol Domedonfors
2017-07-08 20:15:40 UTC
As I undestand it, the Swedish Supreme Court determined the general
principles of law involved and remitted the case back to the Patent and
Market Court to resolve the specific issues between the parties.