New beta feature: Syntax Highlighting!
Add Reply
Danny Horn
2017-08-03 22:21:50 UTC
Hi everyone,

WMF's Community Tech team team is happy to announce that Wikitext Editor
Syntax Highlighting has been released as a beta feature today on all LTR
Wikimedia projects!

Syntax Highlighting was the #6 request in this year's Community Wishlist
Survey [1] -- a way to help editors parse the wikitext in the edit window
by using color, bolding, italics and size to make it easier to see which
parts are article text, and which are links, templates, tags and headings.

It's easy to separate the link target from the actual link text, section
headings are bigger, and adding bold and italics actually changes the way
it looks in the edit window. Plus -- thanks to the amazing performance
optimization done by volunteer developer Pastakhov -- it loads a lot faster
than previous versions of syntax highlighting.

Unfortunately, the feature isn't available in RTL languages yet; we're
working on some bugs, and we'll release it as soon as we can. We're also
hoping to improve the Syntax Highlighting performance for people who also
use the "New wikitext mode" Beta feature.

You can find Syntax Highlighting under the Beta features tab in
Preferences. I hope you all love it and find it useful! If you've got
feedback, you can click on the Discussion link in Beta features, or leave
comments and questions on the Community Tech project talk page. [2] Thanks!

Danny Horn
Senior Product Manager
WMF Community Tech

[1] Community Wishlist Survey:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results

[2] Project talk page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_Tech/Wikitext_editor_syntax_highlighting
Danny Horn
James Heilman
2017-08-03 23:05:13 UTC
Great to see this work going forwards. Can we make the colors more like
those used in WikEd? We have build instructions based on the coloring of
text created by WikEd to help guide our translation folks.

James
Post by Danny Horn
Danny Horn
Senior Product Manager
WMF Community Tech
[1] Community Wishlist Survey: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results
[2] Project talk page: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
wiki/Talk:Community_Tech/Wikitext_editor_syntax_highlighting
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
Andy Mabbett
2017-08-03 23:06:03 UTC
Post by Danny Horn
WMF's Community Tech team team is happy to announce that Wikitext Editor
Syntax Highlighting has been released as a beta feature today on all LTR
Wikimedia projects!
I'm all in favour of having syntax highlighting - I teach people to
edit wikicode, and I find it helps them to learn it more quickly.

I've been using the syntax highlighting gadget en.Wikipedia:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Remember_the_dot/Syntax_highlighter

for some time now. I've just disabled, it, and instead enabled the new
beta feature.

My first impression is that it is lacking in contrast - it's far
harder, now, to differentiate the various types of content. Indeed the
colour pairs used (e.g. #8800CC vs. #AAAAB3) fail WCAG web
accessibility guidelines for colour contrast.

I realise that choice of styling colours is a "bikeshed" matter, but
contrast ratio is a quantifiable and objective accessibility issue.

Also, because the script does not load immediately, the larger
headings cause the page to "dance" as the script kicks in.

What plans are there to either receive and act on feedback such as
this, or to provide greater user-customisation options?
Danny Horn
2017-08-03 23:23:17 UTC
Hi Andy,

Thanks for sending your thoughts, that's the kind of feedback that we need.
People can either write responses in this thread, or post it on the
project's talk page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_Tech/Wikitext_editor_syntax_highlighting

We'll respond as comments come in, making bug fixes and then making a plan
for changes as we see what people have to say. Thanks again.

Danny
Natacha Rault
Ryan Kaldari
2017-08-03 23:33:39 UTC
Bad news, we have to temporarily roll-back syntax highlighting to fix a
page load issue (T172458). We should have it back on soon. Sorry for
anti-climactic news!