What's making you happy this week? (Week of 25 June 2017)
Pine W
2017-06-27 03:18:09 UTC
I like a tool for Wikidata that Hay created which is called VizQuery. More
information about it is below.

What's making you happy this week?

Pine

2017-06-27 03:50:23 UTC
What's making me happy: I'm giving a talk about transgender issues at
the Wikimedia Foundation offices in San Francisco tomorrow (June 27):

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_QueERG/LGBTQ%2B_Speaker_Series

The talk will be livestreamed (1:30 p.m. PDT) and archived for later
viewing.

- Pax aka Funcrunch

(Apologies if this is a duplicate; I made a typo in the "From" address
the first time)
Pax Ahimsa Gethen | ***@funcrunch.org | http://funcrunch.org | Pronouns: they/them/their
Gerard Meijssen
2017-07-01 21:14:37 UTC
Hoi,
I found a complete history of Africa that is available in PDF format from
UNESCO.. It is in eight parts and I am happy that it exists.. I added the
data in Wikidata but this is the link for the English version.. There are
versions in other languages as well :)
Thanks,
GerardM

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/social-and-human-sciences/themes/general-history-of-africa/volumes/
James Heilman

[...]
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
rupert THURNER
2017-07-02 05:09:15 UTC
katherine maher already made 4 edits in 6 monts:
https://tools.wmflabs.org/guc/?user=Maherkr
(not counting bureaucratic pages like talk, meta, as nobody gives
money for them)

if 2 billion persons with internet capability on this planet would do
like here wikipedia would ahve 8 billtion edits in 6 months:)

rupert
Gerard Meijssen
2017-07-02 07:41:06 UTC
Hoi,
I checked, the license is non commercial. I have been in contact with John
Cummings about this, he will look into what can be done.

To be honest, we are terrible at getting a public for the work that is done
at Wikisource. We could do so much more and this fact should be obvious as
there are websites dedicated to serving a public with the work done in
Wikisource.

So for me the maps and the artwork is the most we will really use under a
free license. The biggest benefit will be the use of these books as a
source for Wikipedia content. The existing eight books already are known in
Wikidata [1], there are links to the PDF's, what is needed are ISBN numbers
(the books are available in print), author info etc. to make them useful in
Citoid.
Thanks,
GerardM

[1] https://tools.wmflabs.org/reasonator/?q=Q31365548