[Strategy] August 1: Strategy update - Preparing for Wikimania, the strategic direction, and New voices insights (#22)
James Heilman
2017-08-03 00:51:56 UTC
I find the slide
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:July_2017_Monthly_Metrics_Meeting.pdf&page=22>
about whether or not people feel we are "free of advertising" interesting
as we only got a 7.3 (with lower scores among younger readers).

We unfortunately are not free of advertising. There is a large and appears
to be growing industry that sells Wikipedia articles / ads, which are
mostly created through large groups of sock accounts. They also are
involved with adding SEO links.

We are struggling to get a handle on this at the COI notice board
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Conflict_of_interest/Noticeboard>,
which has seen over the last couple of days the listing of more than a
hundred additional articles of concern, at SPI, and at WikiProject Spam.

Would be useful to analysis just how significant this issue is, such as
what proportion of articles at NPP appear paid for? And what percentage of
socks / sock cases relate to paid editing?

James
Hi all —
Wikimania is coming, but before we get to Montreal, we are publishing many
more insights, reports, guides, and research from our work during cycle 3.
There's lots of good stuff and interesting insights (did you know Spain is
consistently one of the countries with the highest awareness about our
projects and community?), and I encourage you to take a look. Here are a
*New voices synthesis report.*[1] Are you looking to better understand
New Voices projects? Start with this overview report — it summarizes our
work across many teams: insights from research, a summary of 58 expert
interviews, expert convenings hosted by the Foundation and affiliates,
design research findings, briefings on major trends that will impact the
community like misinformation and emerging platforms, further reading, and
(of course!) references.
*July Wikimedia Foundation metrics meeting.*[2] During our July 27
meeting, we reviewed new research on brand insights about why people do
(and do not) read Wikipedia, research that focuses on high-awareness
countries as part of New Voices initiatives.
*Strategic direction committee update.*[3] We are working to consider
what we have heard from the community and learned from research to identify
what we want to achieve as a movement by 2030. We will share our first
draft of the strategic direction with all of you in advance of Wikimania.
We’re looking forward to your thoughts on the talk page!
*Wikimania movement strategy and events.*[4] Speaking of Wikimania, the
Foundation is preparing 6 sessions related to the strategy process in the
official program. We will also offer you a physical location for engaging
with the strategic direction: the Movement Strategy Space, open from
Thursday through Sunday. The Space will host different working sessions,
discussions, and the chance to re-energize for the coming weeks and months
(we have some special things in store!). The conference organizers are also
preparing a remote attendee plan with live video and content for the
conference overall, so you will be able to participate if you’re not able
to come to Montreal. Please note that online registration ended July 31;
after that you can register on-site starting August 8.[5]
ভালো থাকবেন। (Bengali translation: “Stay well”)
Katherine
PS. A version of this message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.[6]
[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_
movement/2017/Sources/New_Voices_Synthesis_report_(July_2017)
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
metrics_and_activities_meetings
[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_
movement/2017/People/Drafting_Group
[4] https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_2030
[5] https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration
[6] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_
movement/2017/Updates/23_June_2017_-_Update_19_on_Wikimedia_
movement_strategy_process
--
Katherine Maher
Wikimedia Foundation

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
James Salsman
2017-08-03 09:20:30 UTC
Post by James Heilman
what proportion of articles at NPP appear paid for?
And what percentage of socks / sock cases relate to paid editing?
I would sure like to know this.

I would also like to whether the Foundation could, hypothetically,
hire editors to address the COIN and related backlogs (AFC, etc.)
without endangering the safe harbor provisions; and if not, could a
Chapter or User Group, if they were or were not using Foundation
funds. Could the Foundation spin off an organization to address the
issue separately as in WikiEd?
Pine W
2017-08-03 21:12:13 UTC
I wonder if WMF would be willing to let a non-WMF affiliate put up
fundraising (which I consider to be another form of advertising, and
perhaps some survey respondents did too) banners to get funds for COIN and
related backlogs. Perhaps if the fundraising was done by a separate
organization, then these efforts could be funded while minimizing the risks
to WMF's legal protections.

Pine
Rogol Domedonfors
2017-08-04 06:05:01 UTC
Pine

If the objects of the affiliate are compatible with those of the
Foundation, then you could ask for a grant. If they are not, why would the
Foundation even consider letting you raise funds on their sites.

Post by James Heilman
more insights, reports, guides, and research from our work during
cycle
Post by James Salsman
3.
Post by James Heilman
There's lots of good stuff and interesting insights (did you know
Spain
Post by James Salsman
is
Pine W
2017-08-05 07:10:14 UTC
Hi Rogol,

I'm thinking about your question and several related issues. I want to let
you know that I may be silent for a few days, but I do plan to respond. If
I haven't responded by next Friday, please remind me.

Thank you and have a good weekend.

Pine
Pine W
2017-08-08 20:03:09 UTC
Hi Rogol,

Here are a few thoughts:

1. I tend to think that WMF would need to worry about its legal protections
if WMF provided grants for content work. I am wondering if there is a way
to work around that difficulty by having a separate organization do the
fundraising.

2. A separate organization that raises funds could not only address COIN
but could provide financial support for other areas of community work that
WMF won't fund, such as other kinds of administrative work, and potentially
content development and translation.

3. However, I'm not sure that a new organization's funding and governance
could be made solid, reliable, and trustworthy. That's a difficult design
challenge.

I'd be interested in thoughts from Doc James and others about how to scale
up English Wikipedia's capacity to address COI issues.

A lot of problems would be solved if we could significantly increase our
numbers of highly skilled, good-faith Wikimedians. I believe that WMF is
starting to work on this problem again; I'd like to be optimistic but I
think that we should also plan for the possibility that these efforts will
be unsuccessful.

Pine
Post by Pine W
related backlogs. Perhaps if the fundraising was done by a separate
organization, then these efforts could be funded while minimizing the
risks
Post by Pine W
to WMF's legal protections.
Pine
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
what proportion of articles at NPP appear paid for? And what
percentage
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
of
Post by James Heilman
socks / sock cases relate to paid editing?
James
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:33 PM, Katherine Maher <
Hi all —
Wikimania is coming, but before we get to Montreal, we are
publishing
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
many
Post by James Heilman
more insights, reports, guides, and research from our work during
cycle
Post by James Salsman
3.
Post by James Heilman
There's lots of good stuff and interesting insights (did you know
Spain
Post by James Salsman
is
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
community like misinformation and emerging platforms, further
reading,
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
and
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
Foundation is preparing 6 sessions related to the strategy process
in
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
the
Post by James Heilman
(we have some special things in store!). The conference organizers
are
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
also
Post by Pine W
James Heilman
2017-08-08 21:04:37 UTC
IMO we need to work on the issue of undisclosed paid editing from a number
of different sides:

1) We need to get the word out to the wider world that paying someone to
write your Wikipedia article is inappropriate. We also need to publicly
state which companies have been banned / blocked from editing Wikipedia for
breach of our policies. This will hopefully direct people away from these
companies if they search for a company to hire.

2) We need to improve detection. Part of this may include running more CUs
when concerns are present, AI to pick up the pattern of paid editing /
spamming, and creating a group of functionaries to address private details
pertaining to UPE. Improving CU tools would also be useful.

James
Hi Rogol,
Post by Pine W
related backlogs. Perhaps if the fundraising was done by a separate
organization, then these efforts could be funded while minimizing the
risks
Post by Pine W
to WMF's legal protections.
Pine
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
Would be useful to analysis just how significant this issue is,
such
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
as
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
what proportion of articles at NPP appear paid for? And what
percentage
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
of
Post by James Heilman
socks / sock cases relate to paid editing?
James
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:33 PM, Katherine Maher <
Hi all —
Wikimania is coming, but before we get to Montreal, we are
publishing
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
many
Post by James Heilman
more insights, reports, guides, and research from our work during
cycle
Post by James Salsman
3.
Post by James Heilman
There's lots of good stuff and interesting insights (did you know
Spain
Post by James Salsman
is
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
New Voices projects? Start with this overview report — it
summarizes
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
our
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
design research findings, briefings on major trends that will
impact
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
the
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
community like misinformation and emerging platforms, further
reading,
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
and
Post by James Heilman
(of course!) references.
*July Wikimedia Foundation metrics meeting.*[2] During our July 27
meeting, we reviewed new research on brand insights about why
people
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
do
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by James Heilman
We’re looking forward to your thoughts on the talk page!
*Wikimania movement strategy and events.*[4] Speaking of
Wikimania,
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
the
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
Foundation is preparing 6 sessions related to the strategy process
in
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
the
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
discussions, and the chance to re-energize for the coming weeks
and
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
months
Post by James Heilman
(we have some special things in store!). The conference organizers
are
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
also
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
conference overall, so you will be able to participate if you’re
not
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
able
Post by James Heilman
to come to Montreal. Please note that online registration ended
July
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
31;
Post by James Heilman
[...]
mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
Post by Pine W

James Salsman
2017-08-09 06:27:49 UTC
Post by James Heilman
IMO we need to work on the issue of undisclosed paid editing from a number
1) We need to get the word out to the wider world that paying someone to
write your Wikipedia article is inappropriate. We also need to publicly
state which companies have been banned / blocked from editing Wikipedia for
breach of our policies. This will hopefully direct people away from these
companies if they search for a company to hire.
How effective can this possibly be? That companies hire paid Wikipedia
editors is old news and what would have been huge scandals about it
ten years ago don't make headlines today. Setting up a name-and-shame
system would simply lead to an arms race with paid editors offering
premiums for stealth measures. That can't be what anyone wants.
Post by James Heilman
2) We need to improve detection. Part of this may include running more CUs
when concerns are present, AI to pick up the pattern of paid editing /
spamming, and creating a group of functionaries to address private details
pertaining to UPE. Improving CU tools would also be useful.
This is another arms race that we can't win. VMs make even the most
sophisticated fingerprinting easily avoidable, and paid editors
already use per-account port forwarding to bespoke proxies on
residential ISP customers. As a machine learning task, I do not
believe this is feasible.

Are you opposed to the idea of a separate organization to address paid
advocacy for any particular reason?
Post by James Heilman
James
Hi Rogol,
Post by Pine W
related backlogs. Perhaps if the fundraising was done by a separate
organization, then these efforts could be funded while minimizing the
risks
Post by Pine W
to WMF's legal protections.
Pine
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
Would be useful to analysis just how significant this issue is,
such
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
as
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
what proportion of articles at NPP appear paid for? And what
percentage
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
of
Post by James Heilman
socks / sock cases relate to paid editing?
James
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:33 PM, Katherine Maher <
Hi all —
Wikimania is coming, but before we get to Montreal, we are
publishing
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
many
Post by James Heilman
more insights, reports, guides, and research from our work during
cycle
Post by James Salsman
3.
Post by James Heilman
There's lots of good stuff and interesting insights (did you know
Spain
Post by James Salsman
is
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
New Voices projects? Start with this overview report — it
summarizes
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
our
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
design research findings, briefings on major trends that will
impact
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
the
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
community like misinformation and emerging platforms, further
reading,
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
and
Post by James Heilman
(of course!) references.
*July Wikimedia Foundation metrics meeting.*[2] During our July 27
meeting, we reviewed new research on brand insights about why
people
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
do
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by Pine W
Post by James Heilman
We’re looking forward to your thoughts on the talk page!
*Wikimania movement strategy and events.*[4] Speaking of
Wikimania,
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
the
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
Foundation is preparing 6 sessions related to the strategy process
in
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
the
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
discussions, and the chance to re-energize for the coming weeks
and
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
months
Post by James Heilman
(we have some special things in store!). The conference organizers
are
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
also
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
Post by James Heilman
conference overall, so you will be able to participate if you’re
not
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
Post by James Salsman
able
Post by James Heilman
to come to Montreal. Please note that online registration ended
July
Post by Rogol Domedonfors
Post by Pine W
31;