Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?
Add Reply
Andreas Kolbe
2017-08-04 19:55:28 UTC
Hi all,

I checked in with Adele today, to ask about progress on the Amazon Echo
licensing issue, and whether she had a rough idea when she'd be able to
report back to us.

Adele was happy for me to pass on here that we're unlikely to hear anything
further about this until September, as Wikimania is looming, and she will
be off on a much-needed holiday after that.

Adele added that the timeline really depends on the Amazon staff they
contacted. While she will let us know as soon as she hears from them, the
call required for this type of outreach will probably only happen in
September.

Best,
Andreas
Hello,
I am Adele Vrana, Director of Strategic Partnerships at the Foundation.
We have contacts at Amazon and will seek to clarify the questions raised on
this thread. I will make sure to circle back with you once we have an
update.
All the best,
Adele
Edward Joseph "Ed" Snowden ...
I will not spend an hour trying to identify the exact article version
that
matches Alexa's output in that video best, but it's safe to assume that
this inserted "Ed", too, came from Wikipedia, even though it had gone
by
the time the video was uploaded to YouTube.
The current (full) answer is
'Edward Joseph "Ed" Snowden, the American computer professional former
CIA employee, and government contractor who leaked classified
information from the U.S. National Security Agency in 2013.'
Now obviously there could be -lots- going on behind the scenes, for
example long term caching of search results (difficult to believe that
Bing would allow that if it is really from them, but who knows) and so
on.
Simon
*Adele Vrana*
*Strategic Partnerships - Global Reach*
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*