Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?
Andreas Kolbe
2017-08-04 19:55:28 UTC
Hi all,

I checked in with Adele today, to ask about progress on the Amazon Echo
licensing issue, and whether she had a rough idea when she'd be able to
report back to us.

Adele was happy for me to pass on here that we're unlikely to hear anything
further about this until September, as Wikimania is looming, and she will
be off on a much-needed holiday after that.

Adele added that the timeline really depends on the Amazon staff they
contacted. While she will let us know as soon as she hears from them, the
call required for this type of outreach will probably only happen in
September.

Best,
Andreas
Hello,
I am Adele Vrana, Director of Strategic Partnerships at the Foundation.
We have contacts at Amazon and will seek to clarify the questions raised on
this thread. I will make sure to circle back with you once we have an
update.
All the best,
Adele
Edward Joseph "Ed" Snowden ...
I will not spend an hour trying to identify the exact article version
that
matches Alexa's output in that video best, but it's safe to assume that
this inserted "Ed", too, came from Wikipedia, even though it had gone
by
the time the video was uploaded to YouTube.
The current (full) answer is
'Edward Joseph "Ed" Snowden, the American computer professional former
CIA employee, and government contractor who leaked classified
information from the U.S. National Security Agency in 2013.'
Now obviously there could be -lots- going on behind the scenes, for
example long term caching of search results (difficult to believe that
Bing would allow that if it is really from them, but who knows) and so
on.
Simon
*Adele Vrana*
*Strategic Partnerships - Global Reach*
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*
Anthony Cole
2017-09-21 16:27:05 UTC
I was speaking with Barbara Page last night (Barbara's highlighting of this
issue in a Wikipediocracy blog post
http://wikipediocracy.com/2017/07/24/alexa/ prompted Andreas to open this
discussion) last night and she told me when she asks Alexa about ovarian
cancer these days, Alexa begins with "According to Wikipedia..." Can anyone
else with Alexa confirm this?
Post by Andreas Kolbe
[...]
*Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
the
Anthony Cole
Adele Vrana
2017-09-21 16:39:24 UTC
I just tested and it doesn't for me. I can send you the audio if you are
interested.
Post by Andreas Kolbe
Bing would allow that if it is really from them, but who knows) and
so
Post by Andreas Kolbe
on.
Simon
Post by Andreas Kolbe
--
*Adele Vrana*
*Strategic Partnerships - Global Reach*
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
*Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
the
sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*
*Adele Vrana*
*Strategic Partnerships - Global Reach*
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
***@wikimedia.org

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*
Yongmin H.
2017-09-21 16:49:09 UTC
I tried quite a lot (around 10 times) and succeded to get one saying ‘here’s something I found from Wikipedia.’ I have it recorded, but uploading it fails... Will try later.

--
Yongmin
Sent from my iPhone
Anthony Cole
2017-09-22 06:50:29 UTC
Thank you Adele and Yongmin. I'll ask Barbara to clarify next time we chat.
Post by Yongmin H.
I tried quite a lot (around 10 times) and succeded to get one saying
‘here’s something I found from Wikipedia.’ I have it recorded, but
uploading it fails... Will try later.
--
Yongmin
Sent from my iPhone
https://wp.revi.blog
Text licensed under CC BY ND 2.0 KR
Please note that this address is list-only address and any non-mailing
list mails will be treated as spam.
Please use https://encrypt.to/0x947f156f16250de39788c3c35b625da5beff197a.
,
Post by Anthony Cole