[Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?
geni
2018-04-27 13:49:40 UTC
According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
Also this article here

https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annonce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-crypto-monnaies/

Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.

What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
wikimedia france:

https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en

Is some form of clarification possible?
geni
Devouard (gmail)
2018-04-27 14:23:23 UTC
Definitly confusing.

See also this :
https://blog.request.network/request-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58

Florence
James Heilman
2018-04-27 14:27:59 UTC
While the WMF accepts bitcoin this claim is definitely concerning

"the Wikimedia Foundation reinforces its leading status by widely
integrating blockchain technology on its platform"

Have cc'ed Chuck from legal regarding potential trademark issues.

James
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
Victoria Coleman
2018-04-27 14:58:57 UTC
Yes, the platform claim is far from accurate.

Best regards,

Victoria

Sent from my iPhone
Romaine Wiki
2018-04-27 15:42:30 UTC
We in Belgium received a mail with a question if we want to work together
with a blockchain organisation. For us to develop that it is too much work,
and we suggested them to contact WMF to develop a system we could easily
adopt ourselves.

It can be interesting to use blockchain technology in our movement for
transparency purposes.

Romaine
geni
2018-04-27 16:21:25 UTC
Post by Romaine Wiki
It can be interesting to use blockchain technology in our movement for
transparency purposes.
Romaine
Not really. At best you end up with a less efficient version of a
downloadable database. People claiming that "blockchain technology" is
useful for things are either cyptocurrency advocates (with the usual
conflicts of interest) or third parties trying to be nice to them.
James Salsman
2018-04-27 16:38:22 UTC
Post by geni
Post by Romaine Wiki
It can be interesting to use blockchain technology in our movement for
transparency purposes.
Not really. At best you end up with a less efficient version of a
downloadable database....
Less efficient unless a government authority is attempting to censor.

After advocating all this year for the Turkish Wikipedia on IPFS, I
very recently learned that it has been a success for a year now:

https://ipfs.io/blog/24-uncensorable-wikipedia/

http://observer.com/2017/05/turkey-wikipedia-ipfs/

So I propose that we use IPFS for any project that is at risk of
government censorship.

Best regards,
Jim
David Gerard
2018-04-27 18:05:19 UTC
Post by geni
Not really. At best you end up with a less efficient version of a
downloadable database. People claiming that "blockchain technology" is
useful for things are either cyptocurrency advocates (with the usual
conflicts of interest) or third parties trying to be nice to them.
seconded. Actual blockchain expert here! As in, I wrote a book about
it that's sold well and the BBC calls me an expert now.

Just for readers of this list, as copyright holder I hereby grant you
permission to download this copy:

http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=41A766EE9752E757169A46C936C2EC17

(like I could stop anyone anyway)

tl;dr "blockchain" anything is a boondoggle at best and horribly
damaging at worst, and you really don't want to go near this actively
terrible rubbish.

- d.
David Gerard
2018-04-27 20:04:45 UTC
TrustNodes tested out Request's donation offering:

https://www.trustnodes.com/2018/04/27/request-network-partners-wikimedia-launching-beta-plus-test-run-review-digital-codable-invoices

tl;dr it's incredibly clunky, painful and disappointing and largely
doesn't work. Also, it only offers Ethereum.

On a related note, I notice the WMF Bitcoin gateway currently uses
Coinbase's merchant option to accept cryptos and then pay the charity
on dollars (so WMF never touches a crypto). Coinbase are deprecating
this shortly, going to a model where the merchant has an account on
Coinbase and cashing out is their own problem. What will happen to the
WMF bitcoin option?
https://medium.com/@coinbasecommerce/upgrading-the-merchant-experience-d97679274c71

(I'm just writing up this terrible story for my blockchain blog.)

- d.
- d.
David Gerard
2018-04-27 21:30:13 UTC
Wrote up the story so far:

https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2018/04/27/no-wikipedia-is-not-partnering-with-the-request-network-dont-believe-the-hype/

Any new stuff, corrections, clarifications etc most welcomed!

- d.
- d.
Vi to
2018-04-27 22:17:41 UTC
You surely saw the same dudes who sold anything as "Internet of things" a
couple of years ago selling the same black boxes as "blockchain" now. I
expect these black boxes to be labeled as "enhanced by artificial
intelligence" by mid 2019 :D

Vito
Nadine Le Lirzin
2018-04-28 15:12:08 UTC
Hi all,

First of all, thanks for reporting the issue. Impressive reactivity :)

Then, sorry for the intempestive and unwelcome communication about this
local partnership. The agreement is quite clear, it has been established by
Wikimédia France (of course *not* in name of Wikimedia Foundation) and our
partners are obviously *not allowed* to use any of Wikimedia projects
marks.

Today, Request Network updated their posts to clarify things and suppressed
Wikipedia logo from their communication messages :
— https://www.reddit.com/r/RequestNetwork/comments/8firkq/
update_to_clarify_wikimedia_france_partnership/
— https://blog.request.network/request-network-project-update-april-27th-
2018-partnership-with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58

We updated our blog post as well, with an introductive warning :
— https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-
annonce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-
donations-crypto-monnaies/

After the week-end and labor day (1 May), we are expecting that all
occurrences of this misunderstanding have disappeared.

Nadine Le Lirzin

*Secretary of the Board*
*Wikimédia France *
David Gerard

Nadine Le Lirzin

Pierre-Yves Beaudouin

James Heilman
2018-04-27 14:41:42 UTC
This also needs correcting
https://blog.request.network/request-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58

Also I am not sure use of the Wikipedia logo is appropriate as it is not an
partnership with Wikipedia.

James

MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
Isaac Olatunde
2018-04-27 14:03:03 UTC
Hi Geni,

Have you asked executive members of Wikimedia France? I think they are in
the best position to answer you question.

Regards,

Isaac.