[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board Recruitment: Updates
Philippe Beaudette
2018-05-14 06:44:08 UTC
And even if such laws do not exist (and I'm no expert), as an employee I
would be gravely concerned about taking a role with any employer where I
knew that they would be publishing the reason for my departure.

Now, employees may /choose/ to publish a reason (as I did) but to presume
that it would be mandatory (and to be willing to stake your career on it in
advance) would likely seriously inhibit some candidates from applying.
When you pair that with the WMF's (relatively) transparent organization, I
think the two together would be a significant inhibitor to recruiting.

Philippe
"I am unaware of any laws which would prohibit WMF from publishing the
entirety of executives' compensation
details including their employment contracts, severance agreements,
and the circumstances
in which their departures happen."
Pine, I often appreciate your view and input on a range of topics but to be
blunt if this is your genuine opinion I'm personally rather glad my
employer does not base its HR policies and practices on your personal
interpretation of employment law.
Seddon
Given Jaime's previous statement on this matter, and my general
dissatisfaction with WMF's level of financial transparency, I am
uncomfortable with his involvement with selecting a new WMF Board member
based on his or her finance expertise. I would encourage the Board to
reconsider Jaime's role in the selection process, and to place a strong
emphasis on identifying a new board member who has experience with
significantly increasing the financial transparency of organizations.
Pine
James Salsman
2018-05-14 18:28:07 UTC
On the original topic of technology advocacy representation on the Board,
an we please get someone from the open source hardware community and Legal
to tell us how much we could save in subpoena, hardware, and overhead costs
by avoiding backdoors? Has anyone on the Board ever championed open source
hardware, since, Sam maybe?

Please see:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5xvn4i/update_corebootlibreboot_on_amd_has_ceo_level/

https://np.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/8aovfb/china_has_started_ranking_citizens_with_a_creepy/

https://teachprivacy.com/why-i-love-the-gdpr/

https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Technology%2FAnnual_Plans%2FFY2019%2FCDP3%3A_Knowledge_Integrity&type=revision&diff=2762601&oldid=2762351

Best regards,
Jim
James Salsman
2018-05-15 18:22:36 UTC
To follow up on this, Katherine, would you please state the relative risk
to politically controversial editors of using CPUs without backdoor
coprocessors to host Foundation projects?

Ref.:
https://chiefio.wordpress.com/2017/02/03/for-deep-security-use-arm-avoid-intel-amd-processors/

Are there a corresponding subpoena and national security letter burden
differences in choosing open source hardware without backdoor coprocessors?
Thank you for considering these questions.

Best regards,
Jim
Post by James Salsman
On the original topic of technology advocacy representation on the Board,
[c]an we please get someone from the open source hardware community and
Legal to tell us how much we could save in subpoena, hardware, and overhead
costs by avoiding backdoors? Has anyone on the Board ever championed open
source hardware, since, Sam maybe?
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5xvn4i/update_
corebootlibreboot_on_amd_has_ceo_level/
https://np.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/8aovfb/
china_has_started_ranking_citizens_with_a_creepy/
https://teachprivacy.com/why-i-love-the-gdpr/
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_
Technology%2FAnnual_Plans%2FFY2019%2FCDP3%3A_Knowledge_
Integrity&type=revision&diff=2762601&oldid=2762351
Best regards,
Jim
James Hare
2018-05-15 18:45:11 UTC
This mailing list thread is about the Wikimedia Foundation recruiting
members for its board and I would like to ask we stick to that, please.

----
James Hare
Associate Product Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
https://wikimediafoundation.org
Post by James Salsman
Post by Philippe Beaudette
reconsider Jaime's role in the selection process, and to place a
strong
emphasis on identifying a new board member who has experience with
significantly increasing the financial transparency of
organizations.
Post by James Salsman
Post by Philippe Beaudette
Pine